Day 33 – October 27, 2020
The Advancing Prayer Movement
“Gather the people, consecrate the assembly; bring together the elders, gather the children, those nursing at the breast. Let the bridegroom leave his room and the bride her chamber.” Joel 2:16
Many are not aware that America was birthed in prayer. From the Pilgrims’ prayers as they landed at Plymouth to Benjamin Franklin’s call to prayer for Divine Assistance in the writing of the U. S. Constitution, prayer was a cornerstone of the nation’s founding. Men and women relied on God and sought Him as a part of the course of their daily events.
Prayer has surged in popularity off and on throughout our history, most notably in difficult seasons of time and just before the Great Awakenings and other major moves of God, such as the Jesus Movement of the late 1960s/early 1970s. The prayer movement most recently enjoyed a surge in the 1990s when prayer activities, such as the formation of numerous prayer groups in churches, prayer walking, prayer driving, prayer journeys, houses of prayer, and prayer-saturated churches, became the norm. However, the tide was moving out again in this decade. Long-time prayer warriors were growing weary, and the next generation did not seem to have the fire of their parents and grandparents.
Prior to the 2016 elections, God gave me a vision for an Appeal to Heaven Movement that would sweep a nation into prayer once again. We began to do Appeal to Heaven conferences across the nation, with an intent to go to all 50 states if need be, to ignite passion for prayer for national revival. Many prayer groups and prayer ministries were renewed. Prayer has continued to gain momentum, and a new unity across prayer ministries has come into being. God loves unity, and we have begun to see the effects of our unified prayer! Also, the Appeal to Heaven flag started to show up everywhere, including in government offices. It was even positioned behind President Trump when he gave one of his first speeches in office!
We must keep the fire of prayer going. We have made a shift, but America is not out of the woods yet! Government leaders are counting on us to keep praying! They have told me they can feel the difference when the church is praying and when it is not! Pray, Church, pray!
Points for Prayer:
- Thank the Lord that America was founded in prayer and that Christ-honoring prayer is in the fabric of who we are as a nation.
- Ask the Lord to stir passion for prayer up in you at a greater level.
- Pray for the nation and its leaders today. You can go to whitehouse.gov , senate.gov ,house.gov , supremecourt.gov , or many other government websites at the federal, state and local level to get information for prayer.
- Worship the Lord over America. Worship and intercession go hand in hand.
- Ask the Lord how to better connect with prayer groups at the local and national level.
- Start a group if there are none in your church and/or community.
- Use Joel 2:16 and call for the intercessors in the United States to rise up!
Day 32 – October 26, 2020
Being Thankful at All Times
“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say Rejoice…do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” Philippians 4:4-6
To be honest, I have a list of things I have to keep bringing to the throne of God so that I can obey this passage and not be anxious. I suspect that you might have several such matters too, from family to national burdens. What is His prescription? Rejoice in Him– some of the time, at the good times— always —really! How? Because in every thing – not only some, but with all things, come to Him with thanksgiving. Another passage to really get rooted in is Psalm 100:4-5: “Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise…his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.” I love that the Lord included “all generations” because there it is in black and white printed evidence; He will be faithful in 2020 just as in the days of the psalmist. Not faithful in some generations or eras but ALL. His love endures not some of the time, but FOREVER—even today. We just need to enter with thankfulness, rejoicing as we bring our requests to Him. As we bring our requests, let’s remember others who are carrying burdens or are deceived that do not know the freedom and release that we have when we bring them to the Lord. Selah.
Points for Prayer:
- Before rising each day, count your blessings, however small or huge .
- Before sleeping each day, find a new thing to thank Him for that has been overlooked.
- Feel His good pleasure in your thankful, grateful heart; friends, we must tarry here.
- Thank Him that we can bring our requests to Him—that He wants us to come to Him.
- Give Him great gratitude that He is never anxious about our days, never stops working and responding to prayer.
Day 31 – October 25, 2020
These Dry Bones Will Live!
“ The hand of the LORD was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones.” Ezekiel 31:1
Louis Pasteur was famous for many medical inventions, including pasteurization. One medical invention in particular meant the most to him. Polio was ravaging the nation, and Pasteur was working on a vaccine. Many had given up hope for a cure, but Pasteur continued experimenting. Just when he was going to try it on himself, a 9-year-old boy, Joseph Meister, was brought to him with the dreaded disease. Pasteur gave the vaccine to the young boy, and amazingly, it worked. The lad was cured and lived. Pasteur went on to accomplish many other medical discoveries and patents before he died September 28, 1895.
Of all the major accomplishments Pasteur could have placed on his tombstone when he died, he only wanted these 3 words: Joseph Meister Lived. May it be said of us that, when all looked hopeless, a remnant never gave up on our nation, and may the epitaph for our generation read: The Dry Bones Lived.
Points for Prayer:
- Pray for “the dry bones,” i.e., those who feel hopeless and lifeless to be awakened and revived.
- Ask the Lord to reveal Himself to the multitudes who are in the valley of decision.
- Pray that medical science would seek the Lord for the vaccine that could not only eradicate COVID-19, but also give glory to God.
- Pray for winds of awakening to breathe upon our nation.
Day 30 – October 24, 2020
The Fear of the Lord
“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.” Proverbs 1:7
Where is America headed? How my soul mourns at the absence of honor and respect for our Lord Jesus Christ and His values in our culture. The public arena has rapidly descended as the disappearance of the fear of the Lord has vaporized from the heart and mind of many, especially the highly visible and vocal. The lack of civility, loss of decorum, ill-regard for authority are signs of a society in peril, one which desires to serve self.
The need for God’s wisdom is infinite. Our nation can improve with a holy fear and reverence of God. Then—and only then—His wisdom can begin. According to Romans 14:12, one day every soul will give an account of their lives to God, their Creator.
Points for Prayer:
- Repent and ask the Holy Spirit’s conviction on the populous that we may all know the existence of the Lord.
- Repent and ask the Holy Spirit’s conviction on the populous to revere/honor/fear the Lord.
- Repent and ask the Holy Spirit’s conviction on the populous to seek the Lord.
Day 29 – October 23, 2020
Pray for Truth in Media
“Life and death are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit.” Proverbs 18:21
Has secular media become such a part of our mental and spiritual landscape that we do not recognize the impact it is having on our nation? Are we afraid its powerful influence is too big to overcome? In 1 Samuel 17, we read how David was not afraid to confront giants when those giants were opposed to God and His people. Goliath’s greatest weapon was not so much his size or strength. In fact, King Saul and the Israelite army hadn’t gone near enough to test the giant’s military prowess. They were sitting on the hillside frightened, discouraged, and on the verge of defeat, simply because of Goliath’s big mouth! David had little, if any, experience on the battlefield, but he had developed some faith-filled strategies in the school of prayer and worship. He didn’t know much about Goliath, but he had become well acquainted with the Lord of Hosts.
God’s servant confronted the taunting Philistine in the name of the Lord Almighty and with a declaration of truth. Then the shepherd boy slung a stone, striking Goliath in the forehead and causing him to fall face down on the ground. It’s pretty difficult to shout lies with a mouth full of sandy dirt! By the way, the frontal lobe of the brain just happens to be the “control panel” of our personality and our ability to communicate. Although we are told the stone killed the Philistine, David didn’t stop halfway. He used the opposition’s own sword to cut off his head, showing God’s authority over the mind. This was a giant faith builder! Goliath would never taunt God’s people or defy the Holy One of Israel ever again! What are some effective prayer strategies that we can use against the giants of media?
Points for Prayer:
- Ask God to position His servants in the media and empower them to faithfully walk in integrity and humility. Pray they will be filled with knowledge, wisdom and understanding that comes from God. Pray they will not use their words carelessly, but their tongues will bring forth life (Proverbs 11; 18:21; Romans 10:14, 15).
- Pray that deception and ungodly philosophies in our media will be exposed and not allowed to infiltrate and infect the church. Decree and declare that the light of Truth will dispel the darkness (Luke 8:17).
- Thank God for placing His Spirit upon the leaders He has placed in the media and that He has placed His Word on their tongue (2 Samuel 23:2–4). Ask and believe that God-called media leaders will be bold, fearless, and unafraid to expose the truth about terrorist and jihadist threats to our government. Pray they will be willing to refute every evil word spoken against Jesus followers and will be unashamed of the gospel (Jeremiah 1:10; Isaiah 54:17; Romans 1:16).
- Pray that God will strategically position heralds of peace who will bring good news and proclaim salvation to the nations (Isaiah 52:7). Wait before the Lord for further direction from the Holy Spirit, and remember to thank God for hearing and answering our prayers: “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him” (1 John 5:14, 15).
Day 28 – October 22, 2020
Maintaining Border Security
“Violence shall no more be heard in thy land, wasting nor destruction within thy borders; but thou shalt call thy walls Salvation, and thy gates Praise.” Isaiah 60:18.
The atrocities of human trafficking, drug trafficking, and terrorism—especially connected to ISIS—entering via the U.S southern border are the most prevalent issues affecting our national and border security. These issues present a distinct set of circumstances for our government beyond the crisis of undocumented people entering the U.S. illegally to escape difficulties in their own country—a challenge that underscores the need for immigration reform. Legislation that would allow for an effective response in counteracting these evils has been “on the table” for too many years. It is time for the U.S. to remedy its broken immigration system and address legislative policies that will allow immigrants and refugees who have the intention to thrive in America and give America their Pledge of Allegiance to enter legally and safely. Likewise, we need laws addressing those who would enter to harm our country; they should be detained and sent back to their country of origin. It’s time for our government to move forward on this issue with the resolve of a fair and compassionate immigration reform that will allow America to flourish in the way which it was founded and God intended.
The U.S. State Department estimates that around 14,500-17,500 foreign nationals are trafficked into the United States each year, with other estimates reaching as high as 19,000.
Points for Prayer:
- Pray that God will keep our borders safe from those who would desire to harm America while our government works on immigration reform.
- Pray that God will expose the enemy’s agenda to infiltrate our borders. Pray that terrorists who enter through the southern border would be caught.
- Pray against the human tragedy behind immigration and that God will give President Trump His plan and vision for immigration reform.
- Pray for the children lured to cross the border looking for a better life because of the lack of education and opportunities in their own countries.
- Pray for those affected by human trafficking and drug trafficking – that God would protect and heal them – and that God would expose the perpetrators and the drug cartels and eliminate them.
- Pray for the hearts of those who would desire to bring harm to God’s people and harm to America—that they would have an encounter with the living Savior.
Day 27 – October 21, 2020
New Era of Victory
“ O Lord, hear! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, listen and take action! For Your own sake, O my God, do not delay, because Your city and Your people are called by Your name.” Daniel 9:19
It’s time for a great army of watchmen to take their place on the wall. Every Cyrus needs a Daniel. A blood moon over Jerusalem on the date of President Trump’s birth confirmed that he was literally born to be a Cyrus—for Israel and America. And the blood moon over Washington DC on the third anniversary of Trump’s inauguration emphasized the importance of this partnership. Following the pattern of Daniel 10, prayer mobilization helped secure great victory for our nation. Everything turned. Prophetically, just as Daniel prayed for the restoration of his homeland, from 2020–2022, the Lord is calling for a three-year watchman vigil to undergird the rebuilding of our nation. This three-year window is also tied to the restoration of God’s governmental glory.
That said, watchman prayer is vital through this three-year window of vulnerability—so that Jesus’ plans for America can be established and not aborted! Despite setbacks, in the core of my being, I know that victory has been secured for our nation. A covenant reset, strengthened by lessons learned and ground already taken, will take hold. Part of this victory must be a turnaround for life—from a covenant with death empowering a culture of death, to a covenant of life empowering a culture of life.
If the opportunity is stewarded correctly, I believe we will see a shift politically that fully secures this potential. A new era of victory! Obviously, the pathway forward must be undergirded by vigilant forerunning prayer. Keeping humble because pride comes before a fall. And in balance, we must also remember that fearless confidence still carries a great recompense of reward.
Points for Prayer:
- Say, “Father, it’s time for a shift politically that secures Your best intentions for our land.”
- Declare, “The covenant with death over America is annulled!”
- Decree, “Those who cling to covenants with death and occult powers will be removed.”
- Pray for those who align with the Father’s heart and Word to be favored to advance.
- Ask the Lord to shift our nation into victory. Shift our nation into LIFE!
Day 26 – October 20, 2020
Complete the Turnaround!
“Watchman, how much longer until morning? When will the night be over?” Isaiah 21:11.
Prophetically, we’ve known for many years that what we decide in 2020 impacts our nation in a way that few other times in history ever have. Like the Pilgrims’ original voyage 400 years ago, our country is at a threshold from which there is no return. Will America choose to defy God openly? Or will we honor the covenantal foundations entrusted to us and complete the turnaround that secures our inheritance for decades?
That is what is truly at stake.
Freedom in Jesus is the fire that propelled both Pilgrims and Revolutionaries to give their lives for a movement called America. Immigrants fled brutal dictatorships, empowered in the unseen realm by an antichrist spirit which had claimed their lives, their property, their privacy, and even their offspring. They sought, in turn, to establish a nation forged in freedom, founded by covenant with God, as a beachhead against antichrist dictatorships.
This priceless gift is at the core of America’s national identity. And yet even the covenant they made remains under relentless assault. Why?
Maybe it is because in both the spiritual and natural realms the right to rule is ultimately determined by covenant and covenants establish thrones of governance.
Note that, in each successive generation, God faithfully posted watchmen on the wall to bear witness to His covenant. From the Pilgrims came the Patriots. Then the awakeners. The pioneers. The abolitionists. The suffragists. The greatest generation. William Bradford and William Penn. Jonathan Edwards and Charles Finney. Abraham Lincoln, Harriet Tubman, William Seymour, and Martin Luther King, Jr. And millions of others known but to God, whose hearts and legacies were also fueled by sacred fire from another realm. They faced down seemingly insurmountable challenges to preserve and perpetuate freedom, having only limited vision of the consequences and limited windows of opportunity to act.
It is no different in our hour. Will you keep the flame? Or will the Body of Christ slumber while the rest of the nation succumbs to deceptive agendas weaponized to destroy the very cornerstone of our constitutional freedom?
“Watchman, what of the night?” It’s a midnight hour. Really, no viable solutions are available apart from the intervention of God. Completing the turnaround entrusted to us remains the great invitation of our time.
Points for Prayer:
- Ask the Father to empower His covenant watchmen to stand with Him and repel the onslaught at our gates.
- Ask the Lord to deliver our nation from a movement of totalitarianism tied to idolatry that seeks even now to hold our land hostage.
- Remind the Lord of the Daniel 7:22 verdict in favor of the saints—restraining the forces of darkness, and releasing the saints to possess the Kingdom.
- Pray that He preserve our freedom, for we are helpless without His grace and mercy. Ask Him to grant us grace together to complete America’s turnaround to the glory of Jesus, our Lord and King!
Day 25 – October 19, 2020
Overcoming Anxiety with His Peace
“I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33.
Whether it is Covid-19, racial tension, or a divisive election, fear has become pandemic in the United States. There is a level of fear in our nation that is unprecedented. Though the fear is understandable, it is unacceptable for the followers of the Prince of Peace. God’s Word gives us this clear command: “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7; NASB).
It is very difficult to pray effectively from a position of fear. Fear paralyzes us into inactivity. Yet more than ever these days, we need powerful, faith-filled prayer. So perhaps one of the most important prayers for us today is to stand against fear, not just in our own lives, but on behalf of the Church. As we pray, we realize that we are simply agreeing with one of the most common commands of scripture: “Fear not!” We are asking the Prince of Peace to once again calm the storms with a word of command, though this time the storms are in our own lives. We pray for peace so that we might pray with power and see the Lord move once again across our land.
- Help us to spread peace and not fear wherever we find ourselves.
- Guard our hearts and minds so that our emotions and thoughts are turned to You instead of the uncertainty that swells around us.
- Help us to be overcomers who help others through these crises rather than those who live in fear and do nothing.
Day 24 – October 18, 2020
Watchfulness Against Deception
“Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain.” Psalm 127:1; NIV.
“I have posted watchmen on your walls, Jerusalem; they will never be silent day or night. You who call on the Lord, give yourselves no rest…” Isaiah 62:6; NIV.
When the ancient city of Troy was besieged by the Greek army in 1200 BC, the Trojans thought that their defenses, especially their high walls, could never be breached. They were right. However, the Greeks did not mount a frontal attack on their walls, but instead cunningly deceived their enemy by leaving a large wooden statue of a horse. The idea was to feign defeat and honor the Trojans for their victory. Meanwhile, a band of Greek soldiers was hiding inside the horse’s belly as the Trojans unwittingly admitted the “prize of war” into the heart of their city. Later that night, as the residents of Troy slept, the hidden Greek commandos emerged to open the gates to the rest of the Greek army who savagely massacred the residents and destroyed their once proud city by fire.
In the same way, the greatest threat to America’s national security is our openness to deception and lack of watchfulness. The Trojans thought they were invincible behind their vast, high, seemingly impenetrable walls and defenses. We dare not become complacent, thinking that because we are the world’s “superpower,” we are safe from attack. That is not the case at all. Even great empires have fallen when their enemies succeeded in deceiving them and conquering them from the inside.
We must pray for our current and future administrations to be able and willing to boldly identify and confront threats to the nation. We also need to pray our leaders will have the willingness to look carefully at policies previously created or underway that might undermine and endanger our national security.
Points for Prayer:
- Thank God for His deliverance and protection over the USA until now and for His mercy in the “divine turnaround” we experienced during the 2016 election.
- Pray for President Trump and his administration and for our Department of Defense to have great wisdom as they seek to upgrade and modernize our military forces, both conventional and nuclear.
- Pray for our various intelligence agencies and for the Director of National Intelligence, that they will work together in unity and careful coordination, being ever watchful to discover security threats.
- Pray for any remaining cells of terrorists to be uncovered and plots foiled before any harm can be done. Pray that these dangerous people will be arrested and deported from our country immediately.
- Pray for the removal of the corrupt and wicked from positions of influence in the government, including the CIA, FBI, and other intelligence agencies, as well as other governmental bureaucracies in D.C. and throughout the nation. The Lord is answering this prayer, but we need to see this process go further to ferret out and prosecute all “deep state” actors.
- Pray that the moral and spiritual decline of America will be reversed. Identify in repentance for our national sins and ask for God’s mercy upon our wayward nation.
Day 23 – October 17, 2020
Praying from God’s Presence
“Let joy be your continual feast. Make your life a prayer. And in the midst of everything be always giving thanks, for this is God’s perfect plan for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
We were designed for prayer, and equally important, we were designed to get answers to our prayers. God doesn’t command us to pray with the intention of ignoring our requests. Rather, He brings us into a co-laboring relationship with Him and then makes outlandish promises that almost sound too good to be true. He says, “And whatever you ask in my name shall be done for you” (John 14:14). Tragically, when answers are rare, we find ourselves having to become encouraged from the discipline of prayer rather than the answers. That is not God’s design. Instead He states that we are to ask and receive, “that our joy may be full” (John 16:24). Fullness of joy encourages and replenishes strength in us. And that joy is to be the fruit of the answers we receive. Enjoying answered prayers is a thousand times better than trying to squeeze out encouragement simply from the discipline of having prayed. If this is true, then how are we supposed to get constant answers to prayer? The secret is in the abiding presence of God.
Those who have given themselves to a life of worship have a great advantage in this regard. They live more aware of the presence of God than others: “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you” (John 15:7). This passage gives us the beautiful picture of the ongoing communion with the Spirit of God and the full impact of His Word on our inner world.
Here’s a simple pattern to follow:
- If I have an hour to pray, I’ll usually worship for close to 45 minutes. If I have ten minutes to pray, I’ll usually worship for six or seven minutes. You can pray for many things in the time left. The point is, becoming aware of Him and His heart is more important than the length of the prayer.
- Find out what is on God’s heart and pray accordingly. Lay down personal agendas and opinions as much as is possible. Then pray with authority, as you are praying with the heart of the almighty God.
- Bring your personal requests and desires to Him. When we seek first His kingdom, which is His will, the other things are added to our lives. This is kingdom protocol.
This pattern is a good way to start a life of answered prayer, the kind of co-laboring that God intended for us from the beginning.
Day 22 – October 16, 2020
Healing a Divided Nation
“There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.” Galatians 3:28
The Word of God tells us, “God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them” (Gen. 1:27). Therefore, “put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator. Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all, and in all. Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony” (Col. 3:10-14).
It’s time to amend and repair what is corrupt and to build the institutions of our government and society according to their God-ordained order and organization. To see our nations transformed, we must go beyond a mandate that only sees souls saved. We must work to see Christians grow in the Lord, and we must see the kingdom of God invading every sector of our society. God wants His Kingdom will to be done on earth through us! If a nation is transformed without being reformed, it will soon fall back into its original state of decay.
Decree with us:
- “From one man he made all nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands” Acts 17:26.
- “For we are all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body, whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free, and we were all given one Spirit to drink” 1 Corinthians 12:13.
- “But anyone who hates a brother or sister is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness. They do not know where they are going because the darkness has blinded them” 1 John 2:11.
- “A new command I give to you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you much love one another” John 13:34.
Day 21 – October 15, 2020
“Those from among you shall build the old waste places; You shall raise up the foundations of many generations; And you shall be called the Repairer of the Breach, The Restorer of Streets to Dwell in.” Isaiah 58:12
The Puritans set a precedent for education in America. When they first came to our shores in 1609, they enacted laws in their communities that held the parents responsible for making sure the children in their households learned to read, primarily to read the Bible. What a wonderful heritage they gave us. Today, parental involvement in their children’s education is low, and students seldom, if ever, read the Bible in our classrooms. As a result, the public education system is fraught with problems because two-thirds of our students read below grade level.2 As parents, we desire an education that builds godly faith in its students and assures a strong America for generations to come, which means we choose the best school for our child. As we link our prayers with the prayers of our ancestors, we pray for the restoration of the rights of the parents to choose the school that will educate their children best.
Points for Prayer:
- Because of the Coronavirus pandemic, we could see a change in education. For the first time, many parents viewed the online curriculum and teaching of their children. Realizing the ungodliness of the content, parents elected to send their children to private schools, start their own “pod” schools, or homeschool. For many parents, the changes required significant commitments of time, money, and personal effort. Pray for parents as they make wise decisions for their children’s education. Believe for God’s best for each child and each parent.
- A priority for President Trump is to allow each parent the opportunity to choose the school that best suits the parents’ preferences and the child’s talents. Fraught with criticism and court cases, he continues to work to give parents the right to choose the school to educate their children best. Pray for President Trump and Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos in their fight to restore parental rights in school choice.
- Pray for parents to take personal responsibility in the education of their children so that education will become a means of uniting our families, building character in our students, and training great leaders for America who will emerge from the classrooms across this nation. In the 2016-17 school year, the cost of educating each child in a public school was $14,439. Pray for a voucher system to be established where the money allocated to educate a child would follow the child to a school of the parent’s choice.
Day 20 – October 14, 2020
Protection of Religious Freedom in Our Schools
“Now we proclaim the kingdom of God and teach about the Lord Jesus Christ– with all boldness and without hindrance!” (Acts 28:31; HCSB)
On January 16, 2020, President Trump gave everyone involved in public education an infusion of courage to stand up for their faith in the face of opposition. Rather than depend on local school boards to relay to the students’ updated rights on freedom of religious expression, President Trump held a press conference in the Oval Office to make the announcement. The guidelines, designed to protect prayer and religious expression in public schools, should assure students, administrators, and teachers that they can freely exercise their constitutional rights of religious freedom. If anyone is denied religious freedom rights, the new guidelines outline a way for the individual to file a complaint. Believers now have more protection to express their faith in public schools than they have had in almost 60 years.
Points for Prayer:
- Intercede for all the students, teachers, and administrators on our school campuses who believe in Jesus to be bold in their faith and not back down in the face of opposition. Ask the Lord to assure them that greater is He who is in them than he who is in the world.
- Pray that school administrators and teachers will not ignore the new guidelines but will allow students to express their religious freedoms on school campuses. Thank God for President Trump and his protections for people who express their faith in public schools. Bless our President and pray that as we take the freedoms given to us, our obedience will open the door for even greater religious liberty in every classroom.
- Pray the Holy Spirit will call bold believers to work in our public schools. In their positions of authority, they will exercise their First Amendment Right to freedom of speech and freedom of religion.
- Pray for history and civics classes to be taught in our public school so that our children will learn the history of our nation and will appreciate the freedoms given to us by our forefathers who wrote the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence. Pray that those who teach history will teach the subject in such a way that they will inspire their students to become great men and women who will lead this nation in righteousness.
Day 19 – October 13, 2020
“Whoever receives one of these little children in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me, receives not Me but Him who sent Me.” (Mark 9:37; NKJV)
One of America’s most significant resources is its children. As the future of our nation, our children need prayer as they face a major assault by the enemy to the very core of their identity – their sexual orientation. We stand in the gap for all our children as daily our America’s public educational system bombards these little ones with perverse sexual messages that result in early sexualization and gender-confusion. Our schools have invited people, ideas, and images that attack the innocence of our youth. May the prayers of the intercessors come before God to stop the flood of sexual perversion that has affected our children. We will rejoice in His protection for our nation’s children and our nation’s future.
Points for Prayer:
- The United Nations has seventeen Millennium Development Goals to be achieved by 2030. Goal #3 is Good Health and Well-being for everyone. Under this goal is the sub-goal of universal access to comprehensive sexuality education and information. The World Health Organization (WHO) routinely publishes a sexuality training “tool kit” and makes the content available to educational leaders and curriculum writers across the world. US educators use the WHO tool kit as an outline for sexuality education in the US. Pray for godly educators and curriculum writers who will reject the UN guidelines and write material that will teach our children purity and the sanctity of marriage.
- Title IX is a directive under the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to be used to promote equal rights for anyone regardless of sex, race, or religion. President Trump and Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos recently issued a Title IX directive that defined sex as a male or female. Immediately 18 court cases were filed to stop the Title IX directive, but so far, judges have ruled in President Trump’s favor. Pray for the definition of sexual options to be male or female. This one ruling would have a significant impact on whether or not men can compete in women’s sports and vice versa.
- As the largest labor union in the United States, the National Education Association (NEA) holds great sway over America’s public schools. They promote sexuality training K-12, which some states have already adopted. The NEA web site encourages teachers to “come out” in their classrooms. Pray to break the control of the NEA over teachers and administrators in public schools.
- School Boards across America have a lot of power over the direction of the content taught in public schools under their oversight. Pray for godly people to run for school board positions and that they would be bold in their stand for righteousness and sexual purity once they are elected.
Day 18 – October 12, 2020
Prayer for the Children
“‘For nothing is hidden that will not become evident, nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light.” Luke 8:17
It was the Sunday following Hugh Hefner’s death when we called for a special Prayer Burn at our service in Hollywood. With a powerful group of intercessors and Industry Creatives in the room, we cried out for JUSTICE for the exploited women in Hollywood. We understood that Hugh Hefner—the father of modern-day pornography was also a significant figure in Hollywood who represented perversion and the exploitation of women. We cried out for the women and the unjust casting couch culture they had silently endured for decades in Hollywood. For too long, their cries for justice were ignored and were unable to emerge. But we declared that the sound of their voices would now pierce through.
Four days after our Prayer Burn, an article in The New York Times broke about Harvey Weinstein and his abuse of women in Hollywood. This resulted in the floodgates opening up for voices of women to be heard, not just in Hollywood but beyond. We believe the power of our prayers on that Sunday helped break through and uncover a culture of evil that had been taking place for decades.
In the wake of Harvey Weinstein’s exposure, something even more heartbreaking remains hidden in Hollywood. They are the cries of children who have been abused and mishandled by the powerful. It is hard to imagine that celebrities and well-respected individuals would commit crimes against innocent children, but it has been done. As hard as it is to use the word, we need to call out pedophilia. There are documented stories of child stars as far back as Shirley Temple and Judy Garland who were harassed on sets and preyed upon by the powerful men around them. Since ministering in Hollywood, we have heard first-hand accounts of such abuse. We believe it is time for justice for abused children to break open! Pedophilia is not acceptable. The use and abuse of children in Hollywood or anywhere else in our society is not acceptable. God’s eyes are on the children right now, and we believe it is time for justice for them. Will you pray and add your voice on their behalf?
- Pray that the covering that has kept pedophilia and the abuse of children hidden in Hollywood will be fully revealed.
- Pray that pedophilia rings would be exposed in Hollywood—along with any ties to government and businesses.
- Pray for all the children, past and present, who have experienced abuse to be healed by the power and love of Jesus.
- Pray for those who have experienced abuse as children to have the courage to step forward. Let the floodgates of justice be open.
Day 17 – October 11, 2020
Ending Human Trafficking
“Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.” Psalm 82:4
Human trafficking must be exposed and must cease to exist in our lifetime, especially in America. There are 30 million slaves in the world, and 10 million of those are children. I know the Lord wants to rescue all those who have been exploited and set them free. He is a God whose lovingkindness extends to all those who seek refuge in Him. He saves the searching and the perishing. Let us pray for justice and healing for those who are trafficked here in America and that the traffickers will be brought to justice!
There are 17,500 women and children trafficked into the U.S. every year. Human trafficking generates over 100 billion dollars annually worldwide. The Trump administration has awarded more than $35 million in grants from the Justice Department to organizations that provide safe housing for survivors of human trafficking. Let us continue to cry out in prayer against trafficking and modern slavery until it is eradicated in this nation.
Points for Prayer:
- Pray for liberation and justice for the victims: “He upholds the cause of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry. The Lord sets prisoners free” Psalm 146:7.
- Ask the Lord to heal and restore the victims: “I waited patiently for the Lord, he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock making my steps secure” Psalm 40:1-3.
- Pray for God’s vengeance on the traffickers: “For the wrongdoer will be paid back for the wrong he has done, and there is no partiality” Colossians 3:25; ESV.
Day 16 – October 10, 2020
Voting For Life!
“Your people will volunteer freely in the day of Your power; In holy array, from the womb of the dawn, Your youth are to You as the dew.” Psalm 110:3
Church, we have come to a crucial crossroads. I believe this is the most important election because so much is at stake when we cast our ballots this year. We are living in a time where the decisions that our commander-in-chief makes will have an enormous effect on our families, communities, and our nation for years to come. Now is the time for us as God’s people to take action and to defend biblical family values in America. God recently spoke to me to launch a new pro-life movement called 1RACE4LIFE.
1RACE4LIFE is an apostolic network of ethnically and culturally diverse, pro-life Evangelical leaders committed to seeing the end of abortion on a local, state, and national level. As we mobilize the Church to join this movement, we are passionate about saying, “All lives are sacred, including the unborn.” We believe that only with the unity of all races and cultures under Jesus Christ will we be able to end abortion. The younger generation will play a critical role in taking up this cause and making the pledge to always vote pro-life.
I believe it is time for us to rise up, take a stand on God’s Word, and partner with heaven’s agenda to bring reformation to society and revival to our land! God is raising up His children as Spirit-led activists, so that we would vote biblically and righteously in this crucial moment in our nation.
Points for Prayer:
- We pray for the Church to carry God’s heart for the unborn and vote pro-life in the 2020 election.
- We pray for the unity of all races and cultures in the Body of Christ, as we respond to our God-given call to be reformers and agents of reconciliation.
- We pray for the youth of our nation to be educated and activated to vote biblically and take a stand for the truth of God’s Word.
- We pray for an impartation of boldness and courage as we advance God’s Kingdom in this hour.
Day 15 – October 9, 2020
We Must End Abortion in America
“They built the high places of Baal that are in the valley of Ben-Hinnom to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire of Molech, which I had not commanded them, nor had it entered My mind that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin.” Jeremiah 32:35
The Supreme Court’s decision to legalize abortion on January 22, 1973, has led to an estimated 61 million abortions since the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court ruling. According to the Word of God, we have committed a grave national sin. God fully realizes the depth of the depravity of sin in the hearts of man. Nevertheless, His heart is always that we would choose His way.
When we operate out of our sin nature at a national level, we end up with things like legalizing abortions to the point of infanticide. Yes, shockingly there are states which allow abortions through the third trimester. This would be infanticide, as those children may be able to survive outside the womb. God does not want that for our culture! We need to pray and ask for forgiveness and the mercy of God for the millions of babies who have lost their lives. Legalized abortion is not the will of God. Lord, save America and save our children!
Points for Prayer:
- Pray for the unborn babies: “Behold, children are a gift of the LORD; the fruit of the womb is a reward” Psalm 127:3; NASV.
- Pray for mothers’ eyes to be opened: “Can a mother forget her nursing child? Can she feel no love for the child she has borne?” Isaiah 49:15; NIV
- Pray for all Americans to know the truth about abortion: “To open their eyes, so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those sanctified by faith in me” Acts 26:18; NIV.
Day 14 – October 8, 2020
The Importance of Values
“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.” Psalms 139:13
For 47 years, Intercessors for America has been praying for godly government. This is the core of what we do. We pray our leaders would legislate, implement, and then protect the values that are closest to God’s heart. As we are in an election season, what are those biblical values that are closest to God’s heart? One could go into great depth to answer this question from a national governmental point of view. However, I offer three main biblical values we need to pray would be implemented through the leaders that will be elected this fall.
- Protection of Life: Nothing is more precious to God than life. From conception to natural death, God desires life to be protected. Pray for the value of life to be embraced by candidates and in their platforms: “So God created mankind in his own image. . . . male and female he created them. And God blessed them, saying: “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it” Genesis 1:27, 28
- Protection of the Family: Our society and our Supreme Court have embraced tragic views that grieve the heart of God and allow a diversity of what a legal family looks like based upon individual, personal beliefs about gender, attraction, and more. No belief or court opinion will ever have the power to redefine that which God has defined. Efforts to change what family is have nevertheless wreaked havoc on our lives. Pray for the strengthening and upholding of the family in America. Pray for healing where there is harm and brokenness and for a true understanding of identity to flourish: “The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple” Psalms 19:7.
- Protection of Religious Freedoms: Attack on religious freedoms is the reason many of the early immigrants to our nation came here. They sought the freedom to be able to worship their God! We need legislators and elected officials who have a heart to protect all faiths. This protection would in turn allow the Church to be the Church and give us the opportunity to be salt and light in our nation. Pray for elected officials and judges at all levels to protect the free exercise of religion. Pray that laws and policies infringing on religious freedom would be overturned and discarded. Pray for our leaders to uphold and honor the fundamental right of religious freedom.
Day 13 – October 7, 2020
“A wise man listens to advice.” Proverbs 12:15 “Get all the advice and instruction you can, so you will be wise the rest of your life.” Proverbs 19:20
A good leader looks for good advice from good people. Scripture is clear how important this is. Proverbs 20:18a says, “Make plans by seeking advice.” The young King Rehoboam got into trouble because he “rejected the advice of the elders” (I Kings 12:8). Many people actively seek to advise leaders because they understand that in doing so, they can shape important policies and decisions. It is so critical that we pray for good and godly advisors for leaders in all areas of government. The right advisor can make a huge difference in turning a nation in godly directions.
The mayor of a major city recently said that they know how to deal with many issues in their city, but they don’t know how to deal with evil. Evil doesn’t come from one political party or the other, so neither one will have answers for it.
As Christians, we have the ability to open the heavens over our cities and other governmental realms of authority. We can establish environments in them where heaven can be involved. We have authority through the shed blood of Jesus Christ as we intercede and put a halt to evil. Therefore, not only should we be asking God for righteous leadership through the midterm elections, but we also need to ask God to raise up spiritual advisors and partners to come alongside political leaders who recognize there are things they do not have the ability to deal with.
We need to ask God to allow us to create an open heaven over these areas through our worship and intercession in order to shut down the evil, so the political leaders will know what to do. We are not to decide if that leader’s politics will affect the change we feel is necessary. We are very simply called to pray for them.
Points for Prayer:
- Call forth the godly advisors who would be willing to serve the nation by advising leaders at even the highest levels of government.
- Pray that our governmental leaders would accept advice and be discerning in where they look for advisors.
- Declare: “A wise man listens to advice. A wise man accepts instruction and makes plans by seeking advice. God has raised up those who are able to be godly advisors to those in political office from the local governmental offices to the statehouse and the White House. They will find one another!”
- Intercede for the advisors to seek the good of the nation and not personal gain.
Day 12 – October 6, 2020
Prayer for Our President
“For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” Ephesians 2:10
Unhinged. Unfit to Serve. Impeachment. You have heard these same words connected with President Donald J. Trump. The constant stirring of animosity has spilled into, or so it seems, every form of public life. Polarizing politicization is whipped up to drive ratings in what appears to be an effort to neuter the impact of this President.
Yet we know the scriptures: “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” God created Donald Trump, just like He created any previous and future President, and God created that person to do “goods works.”
What is interesting in this passage is that God created these good works “in advance.” This phrase indicates that the list of President Trump’s heavenly accomplishments existed before he took office. He has accomplished much – he will tell you that, but is there more? Could some of the items on the list only be unlocked through the prayers of the Church?
Now, it is left to the mysterious combination of President Trump’s effort, our prayers, and the sovereign will of God to play out. Your assignment is simple: pray.
Points for Prayer:
- Pray every “good work” our President was created to accomplish would be accomplished.
- Pray God would strengthen him to focus on the task and not the criticisms.
- Pray God would quiet the civil acrimony.
Day 11 – October 5, 2020
A Presidential Transformation
“We know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— because anyone who has died has been set free from sin. Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.” Romans 6:6-8
In a dream a friend of mine had, a group of intercessors was in the oval office with President Trump. In great humility, he thanked us for our leadership and for the Appeal to Heaven movement. He asked me if there could be a high level, strategic task force set up for him and said he was asking this at the suggestion of Melania. I then gave him a white stone with the scripture Revelation 2:17 on it. It said, “God gives us a new name that no one knows.” He smiled and quoted back the verse, “There was a man sent from God whose name was John” (John 1:6; NIV). John is the President’s middle name.
I have been praying for quite some time that Donald Trump would become “John” Trump, representing intimacy with the Lord. I have asked that he have a great encounter with God that would bring him into this role. Returning to the dream, he prayed over those of us there, and in the prayer he said, “Let these leaders lead a holy convocation, that I might finish my eight years well. Let the ancient markers of our founding fathers be restored.”
I feel we need to pray for this president, not just up to the General Election, but beyond. This is not just about Donald Trump. We also know God is restoring the nation back to the ancient markers. I believe President Trump is a part of that.
Points for Prayer:
- Intercede for President Donald J. Trump. Ask God to meet with him and transform him into “John.” May he be truly saved.
- Thank the Lord for a president who has reached out to leaders in the Church for prayer, counsel, and advice.
- Ask the Lord for a restoration of historical markers – those things that our founding fathers put in place to ground the nation through anything a future nation might face.
Day 10 – October 4, 2020
Separation of Church and State
“Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people He has chosen as His own inheritance.” Psalm 33:12
Since the removal of prayer in schools in 1962, there have been many other situations where “freedom of religion” has been misconstrued by the court system as “freedom from religion.” The statement in the First Amendment that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion” has become known as “the establishment clause.” In misconstruing it, the courts have often placed their decisions in direct opposition to the second half of that statement: “or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” None of the cases where the “establishment clause” has been used by the courts to strike down free exercise of religion in the public square has ever been based on a law passed by Congress. The laws have changed on actions by judges in our courts, especially at the Supreme Court level.
At times, the conflict has been between the free exercise of the Christian faith in the marketplace and an individual who is offended by the practice who then sues the former. In addition to the removal of prayer from the public square, there have been cases calling for the removal of the Ten Commandments from government offices and land, removal of nativity scenes from public land, removal of Bible reading in the public places, and inequitable access to public facilities and funds by Christian groups.
Points for Prayer:
- Repent, as Daniel did in Daniel 9, on behalf of our governing leaders and our judges (this is often referred to as identificational repentance), especially our Supreme Court Justices, for laws and judicial decisions that misconstrued the First Amendment.
- Pray that many of these decisions would be challenged and overturned, so that true freedom of religion is secure in the United States once again.
- Use the Isaiah 22:22/Matthew 16:19 keys to shut the spiritual door where the First Amendment is used to shut down Christian activities outside the walls of our church buildings.
- Intercede for those who hate Christians and seek to close Christian businesses or otherwise cause believers harm. Declare that they would not be able to misconstrue the First Amendment to their advantage in the future. Pray that we would show compassion toward them and that they would come to know the love of Christ.
Day 9 – October 3, 2020
Religious Freedom: God in the Public Square
“If anyone acknowledges me publicly here on earth, I will openly acknowledge that person before my Father in heaven. But if anyone denies me here on earth, I will deny that person before my Father in heaven.” Luke 19:32-33
Can you imagine an America where you can only worship, pray, learn about God, and talk openly about Him inside a designated, state-sanctioned building? Such is life for some believers in other nations worldwide. Sadly, we are seeing more and more silencing of Christians in this Christian nation.
Some Christians in America will relegate themselves to a position of safety inside of their homes, Christian schools, and church buildings anyway. We have to make a decision: are we going to hide our faith or share it? If we don’t talk about Jesus, the nation will become increasingly lost. If we stay silent on issues, our nation will become more anti-Christian. If we don’t vote, those who govern will continue to take actions that limit our religious freedom, stifle our voices and actions, and put judges in place that legislate from the bench. If we don’t run for office, how can we expect legislation that is in alignment with our values?
Break out of your box, Church! Get your faith out in your neighborhoods, cities, schools, and workplaces before you can’t. Your gifts weren’t meant to be for the Body of Christ alone, but to show those who don’t yet know Him just how very much He loves and cares about them. Your God-given creative ideas are meant to change society and benefit all those you encounter every day. Your faith can be an example to the struggling. Get your faith-filled hands on the sick and hurting. Feed the sick, deliver the oppressed, invent something life-changing, write legislation, govern righteously, and change the world!
Points for Prayer:
- Commit to the Lord that you will be His vessel in the public square and encourage other Christians to be also.
- Pray for the Church, that we will not fear being open about our faith in public.
- Ask God to pour out His creativity on His Body, resulting in witty inventions and solutions to systemic problems in the nation.
- Decree that the Ekklesia will legislate in the heavens and that many will be called into government positions from local city councils and school boards to state and national legislative levels.
- Pray they do not miss their opportunity to make a difference.
- Pray for the persecuted Church in the nations of the earth.
Day 8 – October 2, 2020
God’s Blueprint for America
“Then Samuel spoke to all the house of Israel, saying, ‘If you return to the LORD with all your heart, remove the foreign gods and the Ashtaroth from among you and direct your hearts to the LORD and serve Him alone; and He will deliver you from the hand of the Philistines.’” 1 Samuel 7:3
God did an amazing thing when He birthed this nation. In the hearts of our Founding Fathers, He placed the desire to form a nation based upon the realization that it is God who makes laws—man only legislates them. God is the one who gives rights to individuals, and those rights include life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
At the same time, our Founding Fathers perfectly understood that man is flawed and that power is intoxicating. Their experience with the Throne of England and its abuses was fresh in their minds and caused them to structure the new government based upon Scripture (Isaiah 33:22) to create a bicameral Congress with two branches, as well as the three branches of the federal government: Legislative, Executive, and Judicial. The Legislative branch creates laws, the Executive branch executes the laws, and the Judicial branch enforces the laws. The separation of powers with the proper balance is critical to a government led by fallen man. This mix of theology and practicality has produced the longest standing constitution in the history of mankind!
And yet, over the past few decades, we have seen much “overreach” of power as branches of our government attempt to meddle in areas they shouldn’t. This is where we need to understand what an “originalist” is. From a constitutional standpoint, an originalist is a person who believes that the Constitution should be interpreted with the views of the original authors. Simply put, our Constitution should be interpreted as our Founding Fathers viewed the issues. It is not to be reinterpreted according to the whims of the prevailing culture. In other words, the Constitution is not meant to be a “living document.”
The way Evangelical Christians interpret the Bible is very similar. Seminarians are taught not to take Scriptures out of context, but to discern what the author intended to communicate and what the original audience understood the message to be. This is absolutely critical; otherwise any culture or speaker with charisma could twist the Word of God to their own meaning. If we believe that the birth of this nation was a miracle, if we believe that our Constitution is the most Christian document of its kind in the history of mankind, if we believe that our Constitution correctly understands God’s blueprint for government while correctly weighing the sinful nature of man, then I would argue that we should pray that our government would be reformed to our Creator’s intent.
To take it a step further, many of our Founding Fathers were raised during the greatest revival in our nation’s history, the First Great Awakening, when they formed their biblical worldviews. Revival preceded the miracle of our nation. Prayer preceded this revival. We must pray for the reformation of our government.
Points for Prayer:
- That our government leaders would embrace a biblical structure (Isaiah 33:22).
- That our government leaders would understand the fallen nature of man and how that influences legislation (Romans 3:23).
- That our government leaders would understand they are held accountable by God (Micah 5:15).
- That our government would legislate with the Fear of the Lord (Isaiah 33:6).
- That our government would be filled with capable leaders (Exodus 18:21).
- That our governmental leaders would put their hope in the Lord (Psalm 33:18).
- That God would build a biblical worldview into our government leaders of tomorrow and that they would have the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16)
Day 7 – October 1, 2020
Reclaiming the Dark Places
“The kingdom of God has come near to you.” Luke 10:9b
Darkness is not measured by the quantity of its own elements or ingredients. There are no “dark waves” like there are “light waves.” Rather, darkness is measured as the absence of light. When we step into a dark room in our home, our very first instinct is to reach for the light switch. We flip the switch, the light comes on, and immediately the darkness goes away. It cannot exist where the light is present. Even if it is reduced to shadows where the rays of light have not fully penetrated, the darkness is mortally compromised.
You can see that when Jesus told the Seventy to “speak peace to every house,” it was to produce that effect. That was the first command. He then gave them three other instructions that would cause the light to penetrate deeper and spread farther. First, He said, “Eat what they set before you” (v.8). What that indicates is that because you let peace do its work, the door of that house opened up to you. Go in! You don’t even have to talk. Jesus said, “Eat and drink.” It’s called “fellowship.” And since you are eating, let the host do the talking. You do the listening. God is up to something.
Next, Jesus told them, “Heal the sick who are in that house” (v.9a). Here is where we put the dots together. Speaking peace to every house opened the door to one of them. The open door was your signal that there was something there Jesus wanted to heal. Your eating and drinking (and listening) allowed His peace to abide inside the house to open the heart of the host to reveal what needed to be healed. Now with great confidence in Jesus’ name, heal it!
Jesus’ final instruction came quickly: “Tell them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you’” (v.9b). Why is that important? Because that simple declaration is like raising a flag in conquered territory. Where the kingdom of God has been established, the dominion of Satan has no power. The corrupting forces of darkness are hastily dislodged and dispelled. The spiritual climate is changed, and a new point of light has been established.
Your peace-speaking may seem but a flicker of light in a very dark place, but Jesus says that flicker is impregnated with all the power and resources of the kingdom of God. Here it is in a nutshell: Bless; don’t curse. Fellowship; don’t avoid. Minister; don’t ignore. Proclaim. Declare, “The kingdom of God has come!” This is the lifestyle that you and I are called to. Yes! Change the climate—change the nation!
Points for Prayer:
- Review Luke 10:1-18. Accept and embrace the truth of every verse in prayer.
- Armed with greater understanding and faith, speak peace more boldly to every house you enter, physically or in prayer.
- Reclaim every dark place—from your house to the houses of government in Washington—because Jesus has already paid the price of redemption.
- Make this your lifestyle for you and your family from this day forward. Determine to let no corrupt word leave your mouth, but that every word be full of the peace of God.
- Speak peace, and follow the trail because now you know there is a trail.
DAY 6 – September 30, 2020
The Power of Blessing
“Whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace be to this house.’” Luke 10:5
God is big, but He is not complicated. Keep that in mind as you reread that command of Jesus to the Seventy in Luke 10. Why? Because that simple, powerful and critical first step produced a result that knocked all of hell off balance and changed what was happening on Earth, for twelve verses later we read, “The seventy returned with joy, saying, ‘Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name.’ And He said to them, ‘I was watching Satan fall from heaven like lightning.’”
Today there are many thousands that are about to enter hundreds of thousands of houses across our nation. Literally. Physically. Homes in our communities, the supermarket, the pharmacy, houses of government, industry, business, and education. Many other houses we can “enter” from a distance in the Spirit. The County Seat, the State House, the White House. That’s the power of prayer. No matter the point of entry, the command Jesus gave to 70 of His followers in Luke 10 is the same one He gives to us today: “Speak peace to every house.”
How? Remember – God is big, but He is not complicated, so keep it simple. Every time you’re about to go through a door, simply say, “Peace be to this house.” Be intentional. Shoot it like an arrow. Apply it like seasoning on a sumptuous meal. Then let it do its work. You’ll find it will begin to work—for you, in you, in others, and always in favor of what God wants to do on the other side of that door.
By speaking peace to every house, we are putting our trust in the goodness of God that leads men to repentance. We are commending the house and its occupants to God and paving the way for them to be touched by His power and presence. Don’t make a big deal about who you are speaking peace to. You will never look into the eyes of a person that God does not love. Take a hint: Jesus sent the Seventy “…as lambs among wolves” (v.3)! Separate the sin from the sinner. We are not talking about “blessing sin.” Rather, we are on a rescue mission to speak the peace of God over people He created for His purposes who have complicated their lives under the cover of an unwholesome atmosphere. Speaking unwholesome words empowers the enemy to work, not only in the lives of others, but also in our very own lives. By speaking peace and blessings, we will be opening the doors to the Holy Spirit to fill both us and them with His righteous, healing presence.
As mentioned earlier, the Seventy returned joyful (they had a great time!) and victorious (“Even the demons are subject to us in Your name”). And Jesus put the cherry on top, revealing to them, “I was watching Satan fall from heaven like lightning.” Don’t miss a key point here: Satan was falling down (losing his power) in the very place where the peace was being spoken. In other words, speaking peace is meant to be our weapon of choice to push back the powers of darkness that are present right where we are in our own spheres of influence!
Make note of this: all the demonic hosts of hell cannot stand against the presence of God manifest through our peace. Indeed, “The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet” (Rom. 16:20)!
Points for Prayer:
- Speak peace to your own house and the households of your neighbors.
- Wherever you go in the course of the day, before you walk through a door, say, “Peace be upon this house.”
- Begin to speak peace and blessing over the houses of business, education and government, from your city and state to the nation’s Capital. Recite the name of the institution, and declare to it and to the homes of the people who work there, “Peace be to your house!”
- “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful” (Col. 3:15).
Day 5- September 29, 2020
Change the Climate, Change the Nation
“Therefore I want the men in every place to pray, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and dissension.” 1 Timothy 2:8
How many times have you headed for a restaurant, a theater, or an airplane and said to yourself, “I’d better take a jacket; it’s likely to be cold inside”? But where I grew up, we didn’t know much about air conditioning, and you only put a jacket on when you were going outside , not inside. In the world we know today, someone else is controlling the thermostat in public spaces, forcing you and me to adjust accordingly. The same thing is going on in the spiritual realm. We are suffering from discord and erratic behavior in almost every sector of our society, including the way we make our choices, in large part because someone else has usurped control of the thermostat. The analogy points us to the solution: if we can change the climate, we can change the nation.
Dr. Ed Silvoso writes in his book Prayer Evangelism : We have no problem believing that it is possible to change the spiritual climate inside a home, in a church building or even at a stadium during a crusade. Every Sunday in church we see the climate change gradually as the service proceeds. The concept of changing a spiritual climate is not foreign to us.
However, we do have a problem believing that the same climate we enjoy in church can and should be enjoyed all over the city. Yet this is promised in 1 Timothy 2:1-8, where Paul tells us that if we pray for everybody, everywhere, we will be able to live quiet and tranquil lives in all godliness and honesty. For godliness to increase in a city, ungodliness must decrease, and none of this can happen without radical improvement in the spiritual climate of the city.
For far too long, we have left control of the spiritual climate in our cities in the hands of the devil. This is evident when we look around at the mire of sin, the hostility and anger, the criminal activity and the crushing weight of hopelessness on our fellow citizens. Every week thousands in our cities get married, hoping for a bright future; and every week a similar number watch their marriages disintegrate. Satan is keeping a subzero climate in place, while the Church is rubbing sticks together, trying to spark a few fires to keep its own people from freezing.
But what if the Church in the city was able to take control of the spiritual thermostat away from the devil and set it to a comfortable 70° F? Suddenly, Satan would be on the defensive, assigning demons to frantically distribute melting ice cubes around the city in a futile attempt to bring the temperature down a few degrees. (Prayer Evangelism, Chosen Books 2017 )
Points for Prayer:
● Read and pray through 1 Timothy 2:1-8.
● Examine your heart about the phrase “…lifting up holy hands without wrath or dissension.” Fix anything that’s broken there.
● Then with authority, begin to “…pray for all men everywhere,” beginning with your neighbors, and let faith arise in you for your nation.
Day 4- September 28, 2020
Valuable and Accountable
“‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord, ‘every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.’” Romans 14:11-12
The scripture above makes it clear that each of us will give an account of ourselves to God. We are blessed to be multipliers and magnifiers of the love and glory of Jesus. We are given valuable wisdom, talents, resources, and opportunities not to be squanderers, but to be stewards of God’s gifts. It is vital to remember that one day we will all give an account to our Lord for all the ways we stewarded the blessings and opportunities He gave us during our time on earth. Many people do not like the word “accountable” much less like to be held accountable unless they are working or living in alignment and obedience to what is expected of them. Our voice and our lives are to be used in response to God’s great love for us. As a follower of Jesus Christ, we have the opportunity to be like the servants in Luke 19 who multiplied the Master’s talents and were eager to delight and give an account for what they had done while the Master was away. To not vote is to be like the servant that hid his talent and did nothing with what he had been given charge over. Voting is a privilege to be stewarded; it is a voice and a choice into who governs over us that many people do not have around the world. Each of us gets the chance to voice our preference for the people who will have authority over us, the type of person who will govern us and our nation. We pray that we can say that we voted for people who blessed our Lord and guided America in godly ways and not for people who cursed God and moved America away from Him and His ways. We will give an account. Pray that each of us will be a Christ-centered voter.
Points for Prayer:
Pray that each of us will be a voter who votes for candidates who speak and act in ways that:
V alue what God values including, faith, justice, and life from the first heartbeat to the last breath.
O bey the Word, will, and ways of God.
T ruth pours from the overflow of their hearts; that honesty, humility and integrity are reflected in their walks with God, love for their neighbors, and service in office.
E xtol the Almighty Name and Supremacy of our Lord Jesus Christ, giving Him much praise and thanks.
R ely deeply on the Spirit in a lifestyle of prayer and listening to Him to guard and guide them.
Day 3 – September 27, 2020
God’s Divine Blueprint for Government
And you shall teach them the statutes and the laws, and show them the way in which they must walk and the work they must do. Moreover, you shall select from all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them to be rulers of thousands, rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens. Exodus 18:20-21
Through divine wisdom, the ancient Hebrews were the first to create a representative republic based upon law. This was the blueprint for the republic we now enjoy in the United States. Our Constitution and Bill of Rights serve as the foundation of law for our nation. Our representatives in Congress pass laws based on this foundation. The President executes the laws. The Supreme Court, confirmed by the Senate, guards and protects the foundation. This element of the divine blueprint – “Moreover you shall select from all the people” – is the most important because those who are selected have the opportunity to affect everything. Scripture is clear that those to be selected are to be able, God-fearing, truthful, and content. These are the values we are to look for in candidates. Those of us with biblical world-views must go beyond the rhetoric and discern candidates’ hearts and values. This is what it means when we say we are praying that Christians “ vote their values .” There is much prayer for candidates, the process, and for issues, but who is praying the Church would vote and vote biblical values?The Church could be the largest voting bloc if we all get out and vote.
Points for Prayer:
- Pray strategically for the Body of Christ to be salt and light in the civil arena.
- Pray for the “silent majority” to get out and vote consistently with biblical values.
- Pray for the many Christians running for office and serving in government to be strengthened in grace and truth.
Day 2 – September 26, 2020
Repentance: The Key to Revival
“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways;then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 2:14; NKJV
As we seek the face of God to restore and renew our people and to prepare for the upcoming elections, He leaves clear instructions to achieve this goal. Those directions are listed in 2 Chronicles 7:14.
- “If My people:” “If” indicates that this is conditional and depends upon our response.
- “Who are called by My name:” God is not calling the nation to repent, only His people.
- “Will humble themselves:” We must yield our pride and our stony hearts, so God can do His healing work in us.
- “And pray:” YES! Pray!
- “And seek My face:” Seek Him, not the ways of the world. He then reveals our sin to us, that we might be rid of this obstacle and draw closer unto Him.
- “And turn from their wicked ways:” We turn around and go in the direction He shows us (for example, from stubbornness to surrender).
- “Then I will hear from heaven:” Hallelujah! Yes, Lord! “And will forgive their sin:” Only God can do this for us.
- “And heal their land.” When each one of us, His living stones in this nation, obeys this command, then the healing of the land will come as the “jigsaw pieces” of our hearts are joined. Amen.
Points for Prayer:
- Father, help me to allow You to look deep within my heart, that I might repent of any hidden sin. “Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm139:23-24)
- Lord God, help me to overcome any fear I might have of coming to You. Help me, instead, to trust You in all my ways and in all my days. “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)
- Lord God, help me to be quick to recognize the sinful ways that You show me and to find the strength to stop, take stock, and turn back to You. “And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” (2 Corinthians 12:9)
- Lord God, help me to rejoice that You are hearing my prayer! “Now mine eyes shall be open, and mine ears attend unto the prayer that is made in this place.” (2 Chronicles 7:15)
- Finally, Father God, help me to remember that You are always there for me. “I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.” (Hebrews 13:5)
DAY 1 – September 25, 2020
Praying Without Partisanship
“Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” (Romans 12:21; NASB)
In the Old Testament, Daniel, Joseph, and Esther served terrible kings, yet they each received revelation from God to fix a social, political, and/or economic problem for those evil kings. And they let the king take the credit! They interceded for those very human kings and found favor with them. They were each welcomed with the royal scepter of receptivity in order to share God’s solution with their leaders. In each case, the nation was saved, together with God’s people.
We need to pray for all men – for those we like and those we don’t like. The devil will lie to us to divide us. We typically see members of some ethnic backgrounds favoring one political party and candidate and other ethnic groups favoring another. Pray in Unity desires to bring us together to pray fervently for all of our political leaders. Let’s trust God for an extraordinary miracle!
Sometimes we hesitate to pray for certain government leaders because we feel they or their policies will hurt us. When we bless those that curse us or even seek to harm us, Proverbs 25:22 and Romans 12:20 tell us we heap burning coals over their heads. This is not to hurt the person, but to put them in a position of discomfort so they come to their senses and stop. Let us pray, not only for our President and other national leaders. but also for the leadership of both the Republican and the Democratic parties—Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, and so forth. We are here to stand in the gap. You can find the names of the Senate leadership here and the House leadership here.
Pray with us:
We are Your people, God, who carry Your Name. We humble ourselves and repent for partisanship, even in our own quarters. We ask for forgiveness. We want to stand in the gap, right in the middle, for righteousness’ sake until we see the breakthrough. We pray for President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence and their households. We pray You would protect and deliver them. We pray for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi. We bless them. We know that we are free from any attachment from the evil one; we can intercede for Your Holy Spirit to fall on all of them, and there will be reconciliation. We pray for the Supreme Court. May Your perfect purposes come to pass in there. We say that Your Word is true. May it be our intercessory guide. We want to pray with clean hands and pure hearts, so we may lead quiet and tranquil lives. We say that the enemy will not prosper, but that Your purposes will come to pass in this nation. Raise up godly leaders. Raise up spiritual leaders that will walk alongside political leaders on both sides of the fence. Raise up that army of intercessors to pray until we see Your Kingdom come in the governmental arena of our nation, our states, and our cities. This we pray in the name that is above all names—Jesus. Amen.